There are many reasons why people choose to get a massage and in order to get the maximum benefits of your massage, it is important to understand the different types. All types of massage have benefits, whether it is to help you relax, reduce stress, ease muscle pain or help with tension. When you have an experienced massage therapist, they will help you to determine which type of massage is best for you. You can discuss your reasons for wanting a massage and go over any important medical history with your massage therapist before they begin.
Below is a brief description of the different types:
- Swedish Massage: This is the most popular type of massage and during this massage, the massage therapist utilizes long and soft strokes. This massage is great for those who have not had a massage before, those who are sensitive to touch or pressure, or if someone is experiencing a lot of tension. This type of massage will help you to relax, can help reduce muscle tension and alleviate minor pain.
- Sports Massage: Athletes often choose this kind of a massage and it is a good choice for before or after a workout. Massage therapists help to gently stretch and ease muscle pain and increase your range of motion. Typically a deeper pressure is applied than with a Swedish massage.
- Deep Tissue Massage: Like with a sports massage, a deeper pressure is utilized than with a Swedish massage. Your massage therapist will utilize deeper finger pressure and slow strokes to reduce tension from the deeper layers of your muscles. This type of massage is a good choice if you suffer from any type of chronic muscle issues, and can also help alleviate stress and anxiety.
- Hot Stone Massage: This type of massage is similar to a Swedish massage, but during a hot stone massage, the massage therapist uses heated stones to help with muscle pain or tension, in addition to their hands. This type of massage can help improve your blood flow, relieve stress, help you relax and alleviate pain.
- Aromatherapy Massage: Aromatherapy massage is a common choice for those who are looking for emotional healing, in addition to physical healing during a massage. During this type of massage, your massage therapist will incorporate an essential oil of your choice. You will inhale the aroma through a diffuser and the massage therapist may also rub the oil into your skin. This type of massage can improve your mood, eliminate muscle tension or pain and reduce stress.
It is important that when you get a massage, you make sure that the massage therapist has received proper training and has the appropriate certifications and licenses. Feel free to ask your massage therapist any questions before your appointment to make sure that expectations are clear and that you get the most out of your massage.