Winter is full swing here in Chicago as we accumulated almost 10 inches of snow over the past weekend. Just because the weather outside is frightful, doesn’t mean that your skin has to be! With each season your skincare routine should change a little to protect your skin from the outdoor elements.
- Hydrate with honey. Raw honey is a great moisturizer and can help replenish and heal dry skin. Try this DIY facial mask at home; 1 tablespoon raw honey, 1 tablespoon mashed avocado and 1 tablespoon plain whole milk yogurt. Mix together and leave on for 15 minutes. Wipe away with a warm cloth and immediately moisturize with face cream.
- Get oily (In A Good Way!) If you experience dry, flaky skin patches on your elbows or heels, try using a drop of oil in your lotion to add that extra moisture. Grape seed and coconut oil are great when it comes to adding that extra moisture.
- Dry brush for the win. A little exfoliation speeds up skin’s cell renewal by helping both to trigger the natural repair process and build collagen and elastin. Dry brushing before you shower can help improve skin’s circulation, detox, and reduce the appearance of cellulite.
- Keep your lips moisturized. The winter seasons definitely comes with dry, cracked lips! Keep them moisturized with a natural lip balm during the day and even at night. Even if your lips do not feel dry, apply anyway to prevent moisture loss.
- Still SPF. Believe it or not, SPF protects us from harmful UV rays (especially when they are reflected up from the snow), but it also creates a protective barrier against the harsh wind and extreme cold temperatures.