According to the Mayo Clinic, wrinkles are caused by age, exposure to UV light, smoking and repeated facial expressions. What if there are some foods you can eat to help slow down the process and to put proper anti-aging properties back into your skin? There are! At USTA we believe that nutrition is a big part of looking and feeling your best. This is why we incorporate nutrition into both our massage therapy and aesthetic trainings!
8 Ways To Fight Wrinkles With Nutrition
- Water: Skin cells need plenty of water to keep them hydrated. Drink about half your body weight in ounces of water, and if you work out and sweat you should drink more than that.
- Salmon: Fish that is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids help keep cell membranes fluid.
- Green Tea: One word; polyphenols. In the April 2011 edition of “The Journal of Nutrition,” The study measured 60 female volunteers over the course of 12 weeks. The participants were given a beverage that contained green tea polyphenols or that did not contain polyphenols. The participants were measured for skin elasticity, roughness, scaling, density and other factors. After 12 weeks, those who consumed polyphenol-containing beverages experienced greater blood flow and oxygen to the skin. According to the study, women reported experiencing improvements in their overall skin quality.
- Berries: Strawberries, Blueberries and Raspberries are packed with antioxidants. They work to help fight free radical damage to the skin.
- Garlic: Add fresh garlic to as many dishes as you can. Garlic is also packed with polyphenols.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil is packed full of oleic acid, one of the fatty acids that keep cell membranes fluid and make skin supple.
- Lean Proteins: Skinless chicken, fish, beans, nuts, and other lean protein foods help repair cells that have suffered free radical damage.
- Beans: The nutrients in all variety of beans help neutralize the damaging compounds that harm your skin and prevent skin damage and signs of aging.
Don’t miss a beat over at USTA. Follow us on Social Media!