The hustle and bustle of the holidays are quickly approaching which means stress can be at an ultimate high! From cooking the perfect turkey, black friday shopping and baking holiday cookies, it is important to recognize when you become overwhelmed and how to use meditation to de-stress. Research published in the Health Psychology journal stated that meditation is not only associated with feeling less stressed, it’s also linked with decreased levels of the stress hormone cortisol. While meditation is great all year round, it essential to learn how to become more present and enjoy every moment.
“Life is available only in the present moment. If you abandoned the present moment, you cannot live in the moments of your daily life deeply.” ~Thich Nhat Hanh.
Quick Meditation Tips to De-Stress
- Just Breathe. If you find yourself overwhelmed or feeling over worked, just breathe! Stop what you are doing, close your eyes and just take a few long breaths. Deep breathing activates your parasympathetic nervous system, which induces the relaxation response.
- De-stress with Yoga. Meditation can be combined with yoga positions to help your body and mind relax and unwind. If you missed our post about 3 ways to de-stress with yoga click here.
- Slow Down. Stress is a direct result of when we tend to feel overworked and rushed.
- Enjoy every moment! Get involved with activities that you really enjoy to take advantage of the holiday spirit.
- Be present. Let your mind slow down and enjoy the moments with friends and family.
Here at USTA we offer a meditation space for all of our massage therapy and aesthetic students. When you meditate, you clear away the information overload that sometimes builds up during the day. During meditation, you focus your attention and eliminate the stream of jumbled thoughts that may be crowding your mind and causing stress. Be more present, relax and enjoy. Cheers to meditation over the holiday season!