If you experience dry winter skin every year, there are a few things you can do to help moisturize all season long. The cold, dry air of the winter can leave your skin feeling tight, rough and itchy. This time of year is especially important to still protect your skin while keeping it hydrated, moisturized and glowing.
How To Combat Dry Winter Skin:
- Drink Plenty of Water. Of course we all know we need to drink enough water to not only help detox our bodies but also to provide hydration to our skin. If the outer layer of your skin doesn’t get enough water it can start looking dull and rough. Drink half your body weight in ounces at least every day for soft and hydrated skin.
- Eat a diet rich in Omega-3s. A diet rich in Omega-3 fatty acids helps prevent water loss in the skin cells. Foods such as salmon, walnuts, almonds, avocados, olive oil and tuna are some easy sources to add into your diet on a daily basis.
- Use a humidifier or vaporizer. A humidifier or vaporizer will help to pump moisture back into the air and keep your home and your skin from feeling the dry winter air.
- Moisturize your face and body immediately after showering. Applying lotion to your body and a moisturizer on your face within 3 minutes of showering helps lock in the natural moisture of your skin.
- Use healthy, moisturizing oils added to your lotion/moisturizer. By adding a drop of Olive oil or Coconut oil to your body lotion and face cream will give that extra added boost.
If you liked this article, share it on Social! Learn more about our next Aesthetics and Massage Therapy program start dates here at USTA where we teach our students the benefits of skincare inside and out!